Friday, February 18, 2022

How I landed my first Internship as a Trainee Backend Developer.

I don't think I would ever forget my first day when I joined in as an intern in a startup during my college days. But more about this later on, because the story of getting into that role is rather interesting. I never thought that fate and luck would play such a major role in my life before this happened. But before we start with the story, I would like to give a brief about my graduation and the field of study I was in. I am an Electronics and Telecommunications engineer and up until my third year I was pretty sure that my career would primarily focus on electronics and robots, not because I was interested in the field but because everyone in my branch would not shut up talking about it and you know how the famous proverb goes, "you are defined by the company you keep." :P but little did I know that it's going to change drastically when I start my 7th semester.

It was during early covid days when we started our final year and had to get a project guide for the final year's project, and unlike the others in our class we thought of going a very different way, instead of going for an internal guide we started searching for an external guide, because we thought it would look "cool" and will get us extra marks (lol who were we kidding.). After a few weeks, we found a senior who had a startup related to AI and ML and came to terms with doing a similar project related to the latter. We got really excited up until the point when our guide told us to brainstorm ideas about what kind of project we had to do. We had to think of something so "rad" that would blow his mind away and as this was going to be our first impression of him, we were really nervous. after about two days we had an online meeting, where we threw in our ideas and not surprisingly enough they were very "average." but what was surprising was the fact that he expected even less from us, we ended up impressing him. It sounds rude of him to expect less of us right? But he himself was from the same background as we were understood our stand on "computer science" and other budding technologies in general. We started working under his guidance and he started to see promise in us, I had no idea what we were doing, but after meetings, I used to read about it and watch youtube videos on it and started developing an interest in the same. It all felt intriguing, and the more I read and made small projects the more I started to like it. a month passed like this and suddenly one day our guide asked us whether we would like to work in his startup as interns, I always wanted an internship opportunity but never knew it will come to me when I least expected it to. I  knew I am going to say YES but couldn't answer him right away, he agreed and later on mailed us the clauses and some other rules that we had to abide by before starting work, in short, he sent us an appointment letter which also had the word "paid" on it. I couldn't believe it, I had other plans about internships but I never knew it would come to me eventually. That's the beauty of it isn't it, the thing that bugs us often, and makes us think about our future usually falls into place in ways we least expect it to, but little did I know that the day I join the startup and step in the world of computer science and IT, something called Imposter Syndrome is going to kick in and boy o boy it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bench Period Conundrum

 If you have ever worked in a multinational service-based company, you might be familiar with the phrase, "Benched". For those who...